10 Health Benefits of Green Tea
Green tea is one of the most preferred tea amongst all other, for reasons more than one. Not only the colour green and the texture of it makes it look healthy but also the actual benefits it provides.
By reducing the inflammation, it improves arthritis; also it is beneficial in preventing dental care, relieving stress and fatigue, and is good for the skin as well.
Most of the youngsters consume it to lose weight but other than that there are several other benefits of Green tea.
Here are a few health benefits of consuming Green tea, take a look.
It regulates blood pressure
- The leading cause of Blood pressure is the angiotensin-converting enzyme (or ACE) which is an enzyme secreted by the kidneys.
- Many drugs and medicines consumed for blood pressure act as ACE inhibitors. But drinking green tea can do the same as it naturally is an ACE inhibitor.
- Drinking 3-4 cups of green tea can help to regulate blood pressure.
- In a study, it was stated that due to green tea consumption there was a reduction in coronary heart disease and stroke risk by 5% and 8% respectively.
- Therefore, if anyone wants his/her blood pressure levels to be improved then start drinking green tea.
Good for heart
- Green tea increases the antioxidant capacity of blood to prevent heart attacks by protecting the heart from reactive oxygen species.
- In a study, it was found that those who consume it have a 31% lower risk of cardiovascular ailments.
- It can lower harmful cholesterol levels so to protect one from chronic heart diseases.
- Catechins of Green tea prevent atherosclerosis that can cause cardiovascular disease.
- An additional benefit for those who have bad cholesterol.
It helps in weight loss
- The antioxidants in green tea are very instrumental for boosting metabolism and thus aiding in weight loss.
- It boosts the effect of fat burning hormones and with the help of the active compounds in the green tea.
- These hormones are also helpful for mobilizing fat from the fat cells.
- If someone is doing exercise in order to lose weight, consuming green tea can be an addition to the to-do list of achieving the same.
- So if someone is not working out to the core and is consuming this tea, he/she still can burn a right amount of calories for the reason that it boosts the metabolic rate.
- It also modulates the genes related to energy metabolism.
Last update on 2018-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
It helps to relieve arthritis
- Green tea is found to be very useful for improving bone and cartilage health.
- The EGCG antioxidant effects play an essential role in limiting the production of specific molecules in the body that could lead to Arthritis pain.
- When it comes to providing antioxidant benefits, EGCG is much more effective than Vitamins C and E during arthritis.
- It reduces the inflammatory conditions in rheumatoid arthritis not causing any problem with other cellular functions.
Good for brain health
- As it contains a lesser amount of caffeine then coffee it doesn’t produce any testy effects but also the benefits of it.
- There is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain which is called adenosine. Its activities are blocked by Caffeine to enhance the brain health and for firing the neurons.
- For boosting the brain health green tea contains an amino acid called L-theanine which crosses the blood-brain barrier.
- This acid increases the activity of another inhibitory neurotransmitter called GABA which has anti-anxiety effects.
- This combination of caffeine and GABA is potent for improving brain health.
- According to some studies, drinking green tea six times a day can reduce the risks of mental decline.
- It also enhances the memory power.
A better cure for hangovers
- Being high in antioxidants has made it very easy for the people to believe that green tea can relieve a headache.
- It is also a refreshing beverage which can detoxify an abused liver.
- In some of the studies, it was found that instead of detoxifying it makes the liver toxic.
- So, before trying it for the same purpose, it is better to consult a doctor first.
- Good news for late night drinkers, they got a new hangover cure.
It reduces the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- For improving the diabetes symptoms, Green tea sensitizes the cells so that they can metabolize sugar better.
- Polyphenols in Green tea helps to regulate glucose levels in the body and therefore reduces the risk of diabetes.
- An enzyme called amylase breaks down the consumed starch into simple sugars so that it can be absorbed into the bloodstream quickly.
- Green tea inhibits amylase, to control the sugar that is to be absorbed into the bloodstream.
- For those who don’t want to become a patient of Type 2 Diabetes.
It works as a cure for Down syndrome
- The Down syndrome is majorly caused when people have three chromosome number 21 instead of two which is normal.
- So for controlling the effects of the third chromosome which are majorly responsible for the symptoms of the Down syndrome, green tea is very useful.
- EGCG found in Green tea helps to protect the body from cell damage which is the prime cause of diseases.
- According to a study, EGCG is instrumental in improving the symptoms of Down syndrome.
- This chemical is also helpful in improving the cognitive function in affected individuals.
- The amino acid L-theanine in Green tea stimulates the discharge of serotonin and dopamine (chemicals). This is to fight the depression symptoms which can arise.
- In a study, it was suggested that 4 cups of green tea could help to overcome any depressive feelings.
- The caffeine present in it also helps in relieving stress and anxiety and thus plays a significant role in treating depression.
- Green tea had produced effects which are similar to an antidepressant so works quite like it.
Increases the energy and stamina
- Green tea has a number of antioxidants which are helpful in enhancing the energy and endurance of an individual.
- It has catechins which are very instrumental in increasing the stamina or endurance level and energizes the body.
- A good beverage for the individuals who spend a lot of time in the Gym doing exercises.
There are several other benefits of Green tea even if it is not taken in liquid form, but anyhow it proves that how beneficial is green tea.
Those who think that these are limited to weight loss then they should re-read this article.
Might want to change your thoughts!