Is Pickle Juice Good for You? Benefits of Drinking Pickle Juice
Pickles are considered to be a healthy sort of snack. So, what is pickle juice or where does Pickle Juice come from?
Different pickles are made with different ingredients and have their tastes with the benefits related to them.
The pickles contain probiotic bacteria but are removed at the time of commercial processing, and vinegar is added.
After curing it for a few weeks, the pickle is ready to eat.
Once the pickles are removed, the leftover juice is what called as pickle juice.
There are many benefits to consuming pickles.
So, here’s one question arises is pickle juice good for you?
Consuming pickle juice has several benefits. It is said that pickle juice is beneficial to control blood sugar, and enhances exercise performance as well.
It has the following nutrition values-
|Nutrition values in 3.5 oz (100 ml) of pickle juice–|
|Calcium||1-5% of the RDI|
|Potassium||3% of the RDI|
|Magnesium||3% of the RDI|
|Sodium||50-115% of the RDI|
Other than the above-stated benefits pickle juice has many other benefits too, let’s look into them.
Benefits of Pickle juice-
It cures muscles cramps
- Relief from the Muscle cramps is the first and foremost benefit of consuming the pickle juice.
- Recently in research, it was proved that drinking 1.5 oz of pickle juice every day can relieve the muscle cramps in a minute.
- The researchers were confident that triggers something in the mouth that leads to stopping the cramping by sending the signals to the nerves.
- Also, the recovery of the people who consume the pickle juice is speedier than those who do not.
It also relives period cramps
- Many people also believe that pickle juice can cure period cramps too.
- But, the main reason for such a belief is that it is assumed that it treats the period cramps just the same way it cures the other pains.
- The pickle juice has a high level of sodium, so it might help with the cravings for having something salty during PMS.
Might control the blood sugar
- The pickle juice contains Vinegar, which is proved to be very helpful for lowering the blood sugar.
- The increasing blood sugar can lead to type 2 diabetes; therefore the pickle juice can help to control it.
- The vinegar improves the reaction of the body to the insulin and thus help to control the blood pressure that might spike after a meal.
- Pickle juice can also lead to Low blood sugar by slowing down the digestion.
- But not a good option if someone is already taking medicines for BP.
Pickle juice can also cure the hangover
- Pickle juice increases the push to drink water.
- Hangovers are caused mostly because of dehydration. Therefore it is good to have a pickle to fight the illness.
- Scientifically, it is not proved that it is more effective than the other salty drinks in wooing the hangover away.
- But there is no harm to give it a single try.
May help to soothe an upset stomach
- For relieving stomach pain, there are many home remedies people try, and Vinegar is very popular among them.
- Pickle juice contains vinegar in the right amount, so pickle juice is the source of the remedy.
- The Anecdotal evidence suggests that soothe an upset stomach, a glass of pickle juice can do wonders.
- To keep the stomach acidity to a healthy level by the effects of pickle juice acidity.
- Stomach pain is mostly caused by low gastric production.
- But there are no scientific studies which can confirm the effectiveness.
May improve the immune function
- The pickle juice contains some antioxidants and probiotics, which are found to be useful to fight diseases.
- It is also claimed that it improves the immune functions and may help to fight other diseases
- The vitamin C and E, essential antioxidants present in it helps to protect the body from free radicals or damaging molecules. Even though there is not much proof of the presence of antioxidants in it.
- Also, the fermented pickle juice does contain probiotics or the good bacteria, but it is said that to reach the therapeutic dose one has to drink many glasses of the pickle juice.
- Extra strength purified and fortified pickle flavored purpose built sports drink
Last update on 2018-12-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Keeps the body hydrated
- Pickle juice contains a lot of sodium and some amount of potassium too, therefore drinking pickle juice after a long workout can keep oneself hydrated.
- It is okay to consume water after moderate exercise, but when it comes to hard exercise for long hours or exercising in a hot climate, the thirst should be satisfied with a different drink.
- After exercising for long hours a person loses the electrolytes sodium and potassium, thus drinking a drink which contains both can keep him/her hydrated.
- Drinking pickle juice can, therefore, help the body to reach the normal electrolyte levels.
Pickle juice may support losing weight
- As reported by Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, consuming a little bit of vinegar daily may help to lose weight.
- Pickle juice contains vinegar and other than fighting diseases, it can be helpful to reduce the weight.
- In a study, people who consumed vinegar of about 1 or ½ ounce daily, for about 12 weeks lost more fat and weight than those who didn’t.
- So, those who are a fan of sour and salty taste food and want to lose weight too should surely include the pickle juice in their diets.
May improve the gut health
- Other than helping to lose weight, Vinegar found in Pickle juice is also healthy for the gut health.
- We know that fermented food is good for the digestive system, and vinegar is one of them.
- A fermented food that is vinegar supports the growth of good bacteria in the gut.
- Also, it is instrumental in balancing the good bacteria and flora in the gut.
The final advice
Pickle juice is a healthy drink and has a lot of benefits. But also, too much consumption of it could harm the body.
It contains a right amount of sodium. Therefore those who are sensitive to salt or have high BP should avoid consuming it.
Other than that, it is a safer and healthier drink.