Khichdi is referred to a mixture; majorly it is a mixture of two elements or grains that are rice and lentils. Also, ghee and spices are added to make it better in taste.
It is also considered to be very useful in the clearance of toxins and to strengthen the digestive system, immune system and restoring balance as it is given therapeutically as the part of panchakarma.
People also add vegetables to it, which is a quite recent addition to its recipe.
Some people also keep fasts and consume the only khichdi for those many days.
It is a good source of protein, and as recommended by the doctors it is good for the ill people for recovering faster as it one of the simplest meal.
It should be served hot, to enjoy it better.
Khichdi is considered as the Ayurvedic meal which is composed of basmati rice and mung dal. This one pot dish is originated from Asian sub-continent. It provides balancing effects due to the addition of spices and vegetables.
As this meal is considered as the cleansing food of Ayurveda, let’s get to know the reasons of Khichdi being food for cleansing-
It is easy to digest
Not just the adults but feeding khichdi to the babies is also healthy and safe as elderly, babies and sick people require light food which easy to consume. It makes the diet extremely simple and favorable for the digestive system if consumed on a daily basis.
It balances all constitution types
Khichdi can provide balancing for all constitution type. The people are having data- imbalances are recommended to consume split mung as they are easy to digest for even weak digesters. The green husk is removed leaving the yellow seeds which are called dal.
Improves the metabolism
Keeping the metabolism intact can keep you healthy. Therefore it is essential to maintain proper metabolism which means that the digestion, assimilation, and absorption of nutrients from the food. Khichdi balances and nourishes the metabolism. If the metabolism is weak, then it can lead to the accumulation of toxins and malabsorption.
Able to provide nourishment to get through youWhat r day
Khichdi cleanse nourishing enough to give you the energy to make it through your day along with accomplishment of the regular activities. So, unlike ancient times when panchakarma would be done away from home, today people can do their work as well as undertake a home cleanse, therefore this is an excellent option for the same.
Remove the toxic build up
Astringency quality of lentils entails the natural action which is instrumental in removing the toxic build up from the intestinal lining. Khichdi also liquefies ama during digestion’s 2nd stage, which makes it easy to remove the ama.
Helps in removal of natural toxins from the body
The process of removing the toxins through the G.I. tract and out of the body properly is also essential. After the liquidation of toxins, the fiber found in lentils helps in this elimination process.
So, how to make khichdi, let’s learn a simple method of making a khichdi.
Simple Khichdi Recipe
- 1 cup of Split yellow
- ½ inch of chopped and grated ginger root
- ½ cup of basmati rice
- Mineral salt to taste
- ½ tsp of coriander powder
- 6 cup of water
- 2 tsp of ghee
- ½ tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 pinch of asafetida
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- Cilantro leaves (few)
- Vegetables (according to your choice)
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp of whole cumin seed
How to prepare it-
- Remove any stones from dal or rice. Wash them separately with changing the water twice.
- Add the water to rice and dal, cover the container and cook it for about 20 minutes.
- Alongside, prepare the vegetable according to your choice. Cut the veggies and add it to the rice and dal, cook for an additional 10 minutes.
In a saucepan pour the ghee and saute the seeds in it.
- Add remaining spices and stir well. Now, add the sautéed spices to khichdi that is to be prepared.
- Add salt and cilantro to taste.
Now, serve and enjoy the Khichdi.
You can also try a different recipe of your choice.
Vegan Lentil and Quinoa Khichdi
This style of Khichdi uses both lentils and quinoa and has quite variant tastes. It is a great source of energy.
For the Khichdi-
- 1/3 cup of white quinoa
- Two minced green chilies
- 4 cups of water
- 1 ½ tsp of turmeric
- ¾ cup of red split lentils
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 ½ tsp of fresh ginger paste
For the Tempering–
- One finely diced red onion
- Three tsp of oil
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
For the Garnish-
- 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
How to prepare it-
- Take a pressure cooker and place the red lentils and quinoa. Add water, turmeric, salt, green chilies, and ginger paste. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Alongside, heat the oil in a heavy pan for 1 minute over medium heat.
- Stir in cumin seeds, and wait for 30 seconds. Also, add onions to it and heat for 10 minutes.
- Now, remove the pressure cooker from heat and add the lentil mix into it.
- Stir in onion cumin mixture, and squeeze the lime juice in it.
Serve it after garnishing it with the cilantro.
For those who like to have a spicy Khichdi can also try the following recipe-
For the masala-
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp of oil
- One large stick of cinnamon
- A medium chopped tomato
- 1-2 tsp of clove
- A tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of whole cumin seeds
- One medium chopped red onion
- For the Khichdi-
- 1 cup of yellow split lentils
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- One tsp of salt
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger
- One lime
- ½ cup of rice
- 1 cup of mixed chopped vegetables
- Chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp of red cayenne pepper
How to prepare it-
- In a pot, place the rice, lentils, red cayenne pepper, mixed vegetables, turmeric, and water in a pot.
- Stir occasionally and cook the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- During this time in a pan heat oil and the cinnamon, cloves, and cumin seeds.
- Then you can firstly add turmeric, tomato, and spinach stirring after every addition.
- Afterward, add this mixture to rice and lentil mixture. Mix well.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the lime and serve it with cilantro garnishing.
You can also try your style at home and have a healthy day!
1 thought on “Khichdi Recipe: Ayurvedic Diet for Healing”
Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological world all is
presented on web?